People suffer from various kinds of anxiety and it often gets unbearable around holidays or special occasions. When you are feeling anxious it is hard to think and hard to know what to do about it. Know that what you are feeling is either fear of the unknown or fear of being exposed. Examine this fear and ask yourself how practical is it? Don’t try to talk yourself out of what you are feeling but learn some of the ways you can manage your anxiety.
To manage your anxiety there are three areas to look into: Physically, Mentally & Spiritually. In part one we discuss physical aspects and in part two we will discuss what aspects you can look at mentally to manage anxiety.
- What kind of messages are you giving yourself? The way you talk to yourself can increase anxiety ten (10) fold. Negative Self-Talk is Very Destructive and can keep you constantly anxious.
- To combat the negative messages you give yourself, you must change the negative into a positive and say it to yourself five times each time the negative message comes up. An example of this is: if you look in the mirror and say “I look terrible” you can overcome that by saying five times in a row, “I look great, I am beautiful (handsome), I am better looking today than I was yesterday”. For best results do this every day.
- Whatever you tell yourself is true. If you say you can't do something, then you can't. If you say you’re not good enough, then you will prove to yourself that you are not good enough. If you say you don't like something, then for sure you won't like it even if you have never even tried it.
- Have you or do you often feel inside that you are crazy? If you are reading this, you are not crazy and in fact probably everything you feel is normal and felt by hundreds of others.
- Do you journal? Writing everything down is the most positive way to put things into perspective. Put it all down, everyday, hold nothing back, do not worry about spelling or making sense no one is to read this except you, and do not read what you have written for several weeks. When you do read it, you will see a predominate theme that will guide you in decision making. Many people avoid writing because it is “too much work”. If this is you, then you are enjoying your discomfort too much to try something to overcome it.